Monday, August 18, 2008

More on the Marr's



The previous post refers to the Marr branch of the Seiter family tree, but I have discovered new information, I think – this part is a lot of guess work – you should probably read the older posts before the newer posts to understand it better. If you don't care HOW I figured this stuff out, feel free to skip to the last three paragraphs of this post that say WHAT I figured out.


Catherine Marr married Henry Seiter around 1903 – based on information from the 1910 census. Catherine Marr’s death certificate lists her date of birth as June 1883, and her parents are noted to be John Marr [born in Germany] and Catherine Rheinhard [born in NY]. According to Lucille Mull [daughter of Henry Seiter and my grandfather’s (James) half sister], Catherine was known to have a sister named Elizabeth who married Adam Beresheim – census records for Elizabeth and Adam show that Elizabeth was born around 1865. Lucille never mentioned any other siblings for Catherine Marr Seiter.


The above 1900 census shows a Catherine Marr, born June 1882, with a father named John and a sister named Annie. Catherine’s birth date was off a year, and who was Annie? Click on the image to enlarge.


I then went back to 1870 and found a John Marr and SUSAN Marr, who had a five year old named Elizabeth [which fits], but also children named Ferdinand and John – so now, I had a mother with a different name and siblings who didn’t match. Go to the above post entitled "John Marr 1870 census" (I don't know how to include more than one image in a post)

When I went to 1880 I found again, John and Susan Marr with children Elizabeth, Ferdinand, John and now Annie - this could be the same Annie from 1900, as the age matches. The information on John Sr. matched from census to census, so I think this is the same John, (I guess Lucille just didn't know about or remember the other siblings). Go to the above post entitled "John Marr 1880 census".

I think that Elizabeth, Ferdinand, John and Annie’s mother was named Susan, and sometime between 1880 and 1882 or 1883, Susan died and John Marr married Catherine Rheinhard and had a daughter, Catherine [Henry Seiter’s wife]. I will check this eventually by going into New York City and trying to find the marriage certificates for Elizabeth Marr Beresheim, John Marr Jr. and Catherine Marr Seiter.


I still was only guessing until I thought that maybe I could look at Catherine Marr’s other siblings [?] in the census. I couldn’t find anything more on Ferdinand or Annie, but I DID find John Marr Jr. in 1900, 1910 and 1920 [see separate post above entitled "John Marr Jr" for information on John Marr Jr's family].


I still couldn’t prove that this John Marr Jr. was a brother to Catherine Marr Seiter [which would mean that the census information back to 1880 for John Marr Sr. was really for MY Catherine Marr’s father], until I took another look at John Marr Jr. in the 1920 census. In 1920 [Catherine Marr Seiter died in 1914], John Marr was renting a room to Katharine Seiter – which would have been his deceased sister’s mother in law! Eureka! I had seen this census sheet before when looking up Katharine, but never noticed the Marrs. [See the above post entitled "John Marr Jr. and Katharine Seiter - 1920 census"]

So I think that Catherine Marr had half siblings Elizabeth, Ferdinand, John, and Annie whose mother’s name was Susan.

You can tell from the census that Catherine’s father John Marr was born in 1839 in Bavaria, Germany. He came to the USA in 1843 and was a tinsmith.

There are some minor inconsistencies [Catherine’s birth date on 1900 census; Susan Marr is listed as being born in Germany in the 1880 census, but in NY in 1870 and on John Marr Jr’s and Elizabeth Beresheim’s censuses], but I think that the fact that John Marr Jr. lived with Katharine Seiter makes this a pretty solid guess.

No comments: